MARiS convenes a one-year coursework (full-time) Masters in Applied Ocean Sciences, which is joint between the Department of Biological Sciences and the Department of Oceanography at the University of Cape Town. This course provides interdisciplinary training in treating the most applied aspects of oceanography and marine biology, with the aim to become future ocean professionals. It is designed for both recent graduates as well as those with some years’ experience and who wish to gain skills to operate in the ocean services sector, with a focus on operational and conservational activities, food, water quality and recreation, preservation and other aspects of the Blue Economy.
Pre-requisites for admission
- 4 years Bachelor degree (with research project) or Honours degree.
- Previous specialised knowledge of oceanography or marine biology is not essential
- Both BSc and BA (+hons) students are eligible, with preference for students with Science background
- An average of 65% in science subjects or >70% in other pertinent subjects
- BA students are required to write in their motivation letter how they will compensate for knowledge gaps in science subjects