Pre-requisites for admission
- 4 years Bachelor degree (with research project) or Honours degree.
- Previous specialised knowledge of oceanography or marine biology is not essential
- Both BSc and BA (+hons) students are eligible, with preference for students with Science background
- An average of 65% in science subjects or >70% in other pertinent subjects
- BA students are required to write in their motivation letter how they will compensate for knowledge gaps in science subjects
1. UCT Science Faculty entry requirements:
For a master’s degree in the Science Faculty: A candidate entering a Master’s degree must have a BSc (Honours) degree or four-year international undergraduate equivalent. The University of Cape Town follows ECCTIS guidelines on equivalency of international degrees. Prospective students should check whether their existing degree qualifies for entry.
2. English Language Proficiency requirements:
The medium of instruction and examination at UCT is English. You must submit evidence of proficiency in English as part of your application to study at UCT. These include any of the following:
For South African applicants, either:
- A pass in English Home Language or First Additional Language if you hold the NSC, or
- 40% In English on the Higher Grade (first or second language) if you hold the Senior Certificate
For international applicants:
A recent TOEFL score (obtained within 3-5 years before application for admission) of at least
- 570 for the paper-based test or
- 230 for the computer-based test or
- 88 for the Internet-based test
A recent overall band score of 7.0 on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), with no individual element of the test scoring below 6.0
A score of 65% or more for the Academic Literacy component of the NBT.
3. An excellent academic track record with strong interests in marine science.
4. Good numeracy skills are highly recommended.